Registrar’s Office

Visit the Registrar Staff page to contact a particular person within the department.

Registrar FAQ

How do I know who is registered for my class?

A continually updated course roster is available in ‘Faculty Info’ under the Web Advisor section of the portal.

How can I email my class?

Web advisor has an “email all students” function, and each course is assigned a list serve address composed of the department abbreviation, course number, and a dash followed by the section number (for example, engl234‐ – Katrina

My class is full and several students have emailed me, asking to add. What do I do?

In general, enrolling a course over the cap isn’t recommended (unless the college asks you to in order to meet student/college needs). If a student claims to “need” the class to graduate, complete their major, etc., check with your department chair and/or the registrar. If you all agree that the student needs in, see below. Otherwise, you can just email them back, explaining that the class is full and that they should continue to check on‐line for openings throughout the add‐drop period (ends first week Friday).The college does not have a “waiting list;” it’s first‐come, first‐served.

I want to let a student in over the cap, what do I do?

Make sure that your room can accommodate another body (and remember that you’ll be grading more). During the 2021-2022 academic year, please check with the Registrar’s office, since room capacities are set at 75%. Then tell the student to fill in an Add Form (available on-line) and it will arrive in your inbox for an electronic signature. Once you sign it, the registrar will allow that student to add the class.

My room really isn’t conducive to my teaching style. What do I do?

Fill out the Room Change Request on the Registrar’s website. Room changes can only occur prior to a specified date before the quarter begins and after the end of week one. The registrar will tell you what/if any rooms are available.

What information about a student can I share with others?

Please see information on FERPA (Federal Educational Rights and Privacy Act) in the Catalogue.

Helpful Guidelines:

Professors may not release non‐directory or personally identifiable information about a student to a third party (parents included) without the student’s written authorization. You may have the student fill out a consent‐to‐release form if the student wants you to speak with a third party. The student must sign a new form each time s/he allows you to release non‐directory information.

Do Not Release Without Written Authorization

  • Student ID number
  • Grades/Exam Scores
  • Grade Point Average
  • Social Security Number
  • Parent Address/Phone
  • Detail of Registration Information (i.e., courses, times)
  • Race, Ethnicity, or Nationality
  • Gender
  • Date of Birth
  • Total Credits
  • Number of Credits Enrolled in a Quarter
  • Emergency Contact

The public posting of grades either by the student’s name, student ID number, or social security number without the student’s written permission is a violation of FERPA. This includes the posting of grades to a class/institutional website and applies to any public posting of grades in hallways and in departmental offices for all students including those taking distance education courses.

If an instructor wants to post grades, then a system needs to be put in place that ensures FERPA requirements are met. The last four digits of the student number may be used. The instructor may also obtain the student’s uncoerced written permission or use code words or randomly assigned numbers that only the instructor and individual student know.

Additionally, leaving graded student work in a publicly accessible location where third parties (e.g., other students) may see it is not permissible, as it too violates students’ FERPA rights.

Notification of grades via e‐mail is in violation of FERPA. There is no guarantee of confidentiality on the Internet. The institution would be held responsible if an unauthorized third party gained access, in any manner, to a student’s education record through any electronic transmission method.

What do I do if a student is too ill or has an emergency that prevents him/her from finishing the work for my class?

You can give them an Incomplete; leave the grade blank on the on‐line form and fill in an Incomplete form at the registrar’s office. Incompletes should be offered to a student only when there are compelling circumstances beyond the student’s control; check with your department chair and the registrar’s office if you have any questions about whether a student should receive an incomplete.

Incomplete Grades

An I (incomplete) is recorded when work is of acceptable quality but has not been finished because of illness or other extraordinary circumstance outside the student’s control. If the work has not been completed by the end of the sixth week of the next quarter, the instructor should submit the grade the student had earned by the end of the quarter. This deadline applies whether the student is on or off campus or has left the College.