- Human Resources website
- Human Resources Staff Directory
- Fitness and Wellness Center website
- Fitness and Wellness Center Contact
- Payroll website
Kalamazoo College Summary of Benefits for New Faculty
This brief summary of benefits is a guideline only; nothing herein should be construed as creating any contract rights for any employee. Plan Documents and Certificates of Coverage will govern plan provisions at all times. Basic eligibility for most benefits requires at least half time employment. Consult Human Resources staff, benefit handbooks and summary plan documents for more information. Please note that the College reserves the right to alter, modify, amend or terminate any benefit at any time. For current details, see the Human Resources Benefits web page. Information specific to new employees can be found here: https://hr.kzoo.edu/current-employees/new-employee-benefits/
Faculty/staff wellness program
Includes Fitness and Wellness Center, classes and workshops, family activities. Details at https://fitnesscenter.kzoo.edu/.
Health and dental insurance:
Coverage is effective the first day of employment, pending completed enrollment within 30 days of hire.
- Kalamazoo College Healthcare – The College and the employee contribute to the premium. Dependent coverage is available for spouses, eligible domestic partners and children. Spouses and partners with coverage available through their own employers are required to enroll in that coverage. The College does not contribute to the cost of dependent coverage for employees with less than a ¾ time appointment (.75 full time equivalent).
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
Flexible Benefit Plan (Section 125 pre‐tax reimbursement accounts)
- Annual enrollment provides opportunity to pay on a pre‐tax basis through reimbursement accounts for out‐of‐pocket qualified health expenses and dependent care expenses.
- Employee’s share of health insurance premium is taken pre‐tax unless employee waives this option.
- More information can be found here: https://hr.kzoo.edu/benefits/healthcare/
Term life insurance:
- Effective upon employment, pending completed application within 30 days of hire. College pays premium for basic coverage, which consists of two times annual base salary with a minimum coverage of $50,000 and a maximum coverage of $100,000. In addition, employee may purchase additional coverage for themselves and/or their eligible dependents.
- More information can be found here: https://hr.kzoo.edu/benefits/life-and-disability/unum-life-insurance/
Long term disability insurance:
- One year waiting period for enrollment eligibility; waiting period waived if the employee is coming from coverage under a similar plan with no more than 90 days lapse of coverage.
- College pays premium. Benefit in the event of disability is 60% of salary, offset by social security and certain other benefits, following a six month elimination period. Monthly maximum benefit is $8,000. Benefits for total disability continue to age 65. Includes a monthly annuity premium benefit credited to 403(b)plan.
- More information can be found here: https://hr.kzoo.edu/benefits/life-and-disability/long-term-disability/
Other benefits from Unum include
- Employee assistance program
- Emergency travel assistance
403(b) Defined Contribution Retirement Plan:
- Two year waiting period for participation, with credit given for service in a benefits eligible position at another institution of higher education. College contributes an amount equal to 5% of annual base salary; in addition, employee may contribute up to 5% of annual salary which the College matches dollar‐for‐dollar.
- Group SRA available with no waiting period for participation.
- More information can be found here: https://hr.kzoo.edu/benefits/retirement-savings/
Emeriti Retirement Health Plan
- Eligibility for new employees requires minimum 1/2 time appointment (.50 full time equivalent).
- Tax‐advantaged health accounts, pre‐funded during the working years with contributions from the College and voluntary contributions from the employee, to pay for qualified health expenses in retirement.
- Provides qualified retirees with access to group health plans that coordinate with Medicare.
Tuition benefit for children of employees
- Employee must be 3/4 time with at least two consecutive full time service years immediately prior to benefit period.
- Benefit applies if eligible child attends Kalamazoo College or a school in the GLCA Tuition Remission Exchange. Provides full tuition benefit at Kalamazoo College. At other schools participating in the GLCA Tuition Remission Exchange, the student is charged a participation fee equal to 15% of average GLCA tuition. Kalamazoo College currently pays one third of this participation fee. Provides benefit for up to four years for up to two children; portion of benefit unused by first two children may be used by a third child.