Responsibilities of Members of the Justice, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Committee
Members of the Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (JEDI) Committee oversee policies and programs and other activities of the College in order to develop and sustain an inclusive and diverse campus community, a culture of justice, equity, and inclusion, and to evaluate the effectiveness of the College’s practices toward that end. Members of JEDI are, therefore, charged to accomplish the following:
- Collaborate with relevant committees and offices to evaluate College policies, practices and structures through a JEDI lens, and proposing changes. Collaborations may include but not be limited to the Office of Student Development, Human Resources, Provost Office, Admissions Office, Admission & Financial Aid Committee, Educational Policies Committee, Teaching & Learning Committee, and Faculty Personnel Committee.
- Interface with the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, or until this office exists, advocate for the creation of this office and a President’s Staff level officer.
- Collaborate with Bias Data Gathering System to facilitate circles of support and accountability for bias-related concerns. The committee shall develop a non-disclosure agreement to deal with sensitive information.
- Faculty committee chair to provide to the FEC, Provost and President, and the faculty periodic reports (in writing or verbal) on the state of JEDI at the College including regular electronic reports for faculty meeting. JEDI may advise the Provost and President on other matters.
- Review faculty and staff job position announcements to ensure the use of a common language regarding diversity and inclusion at the College and work with Human Resources to meet JEDI goals. Be available to consult with departments and other hiring bodies so that such announcements will resonate with a variety of diverse groups.
- Review and update sections of the College By-Laws and Faculty and Staff Handbooks to reflect faculty and committee decisions.
Composition of the Justice, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Committee
At least four (4) voting members from the faculty from four different divisions will be appointed for service on the executive committee of JEDI by FEC. In addition, FEC recommends that representatives from appropriate administrative offices (including the Chief Diversity Officer, Dean of Students, Director of Admissions & Financial Aid, Director of Religious & Spiritual Life, Title IX coordinator, Director of Human Resources, Director of Intercultural Student Life, Director of the Arcus Center for Social Justice Leadership, Director of Athletics) serve ex officio on JEDI and meet at least once per term. The executive committee may request regular meetings collectively or with individual members as needed. Two students – selected by the student government – serve on JEDI (note: the student member(s) will have a single vote on the committee).